Audio Transcription FAQ's
What is audio transcription?
To increase the accuracy and speed of the speech-to-text process from recorded speech, a transcriber uses a foot pedal. See the picture to the left of the exact foot pedal used by Virtuadmin for audio transcription projects.
How long does audio transcription take?
There are many factors to take into consideration when determining how long the audio transcription takes. First and foremost the following factors need to be taken into consideration:
- What is the audio quality like?
- Is there any background noise? It could have been recorded in a public place (not recommended) is there static in the recording?
- How many speakers are in the audio?
- Do the speaker/s have an accent?
- Is the transcription to be intelligent verbatim (um's, ah's and repetitive words or sayings like, 'you know' and 'sort of' or strict verbatim, where these are left in the transcript, every little detail is transcribed).
All of these elements need to be taken into consideration when trying to estimate the length of time for a professional transcriber with a touch typing speed of 80 words per minute to turn our recorded speech into text.
How is audio transcription charged?
In the United Kingdom, audio transcription is charged by the audio minute, and not the time it takes to convert recorded speech into text. It takes approximately 4-6 hours for a professional transcriber to manually listen and type ONE HOUR of recorded audio.
For our audio transcription service at Virtuadmin our rate starts at 60p per audio minute for a clear single-speaker audio.
If you have any other questions regarding audio transcription, please do not hesitate to email me at email@example.com and I would be happy to answer any further questions.